People Watching...

Jun 7, 2008

Some friends and I went to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware today. Its one of those places where the whole town is centered around the tourist attraction, built and thriving on out of towners. Temperature was in the 90s, a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, at the beginning of the summer season. The perfect place and time for people watching.

I noticed a lot sitting on the beach and walking through the town of T shirt shops and ice cream parlors. I saw two little boys, one with blonde curly hair, the other black with his ear pierced, that rated about a 10 on the scale of cuteness. They made me wonder what makes kids so fun to watch, and whether their parents feel the same way. I saw plenty of girls dressed (if you can call it that) in bathing suits which, according to the law of nature, should not be staying on their bodies with the amount of material holding them up. And it made me wonder how wearing that makes them feel, and how wearing that would make me feel, short term and long term. I watched a grandma sitting behind me dealing with an obstinate grandchild who cried and screamed for a solid 30 minutes. And I wondered if her patience was just her saintly way, or if it was influenced by outside cirucmstances I could never know. I saw a Catholic and a Protestant having a peaceful conversation about Christianity, and wondered why that happens so seldom. I saw two girls taking pictures of a guy they thought was all that, and the awkwardness that occured when he realized it. And I wondered what theyll do with those pictures after today. I saw a tattoo artist sitting at his booth with a girl all over him, wondering.. well, I wondered plenty of things with that scenario.

And I thought: its funny how every person you see can make you consider something different about life, and your own story...

...

Lesson for Today: When talking to a guy about his previous cheerleading coach, never, under any circumstances, refer to her as a dance teacher. Never.

0 comments: