Black or Lace???

Jul 2, 2008

Weddings are an interesting thing. I think it takes all types of different girls and sorts them into categories. You get the "everything must be PERFECT" girl. You get the "bunk tradition, I want black" girl. You get the "I want to be a princess" girl, the "do it however you want, mom" girl, the "I just want to party" girl, the "I hate details, get me to Vegas" girl, and every other kind in between.

I was reading an article by a girl who gave the perspective of getting married without her mom, who had died years before, and the heartache that comes with it. Super sad, because weddings are meant to be shared with moms and sisters. And when that cant happen, or doesnt, grief hits.

But I found her article surprisingly lighthearted amidst the emotion, and felt more than one statement resonate with my own wedding "experience" thus far.

Statements that told of the ease of forgoing details, like, "We went with Option C pretty much across the board. Food, flowers, music, all decided in five minutes. Option C. When in doubt, I always chose Option C. After all, the same plan had worked quite well with my SATs." Statements that told of the hilariousness, and irony, of wedding dress saleswomen, like, " 'You look gorgeous,' they said. 'I look like me, but in a wedding dress.' 'Well, yeah. But a gorgeous you.' It wasn’t their fault that they lacked authority; they were being paid to say I looked good." Statements that highlight the joy of saving money, like, "I’ve never been the type for a wedding, either, which is probably why I was thrilled to buy our invitations from Costco, online and on sale. No hassle, no fuss, bulk discount."

After all, "A dress is a dress is a dress." Right?

But somehow, in all the rebelling against tradition and details and money spending, Ive figured out a few things. Ive figured out that tradition isnt always as bad as I like to think. After all, it became tradition for a reason, right? Ive figured out that details are important to people. And I can deal with it, because Im not the only person in the process. And Ive figured out that money spending... Well, it has to be done.

Weddings definitely bring out a different side in every different girl. It might be one of the most interesting parts about them. And I find myself wondering if maybe, just maybe, the normal me that would rather wear black nail polish, men's mesh shorts, and oversized hoodies every day of the week will be trumped, just this one day, by the desire to wear earrings, lace, and heels. I have yet to find out which side will win out...

Good thing I have my mom to look out for me. Though I think Ill pass on the earrings.

In "other news," I just found an article today relaying the details of 22-year-old Jose Rivera, an officer in a federal prison in San Joaquin Valley, California, who was stabbed to death by two inmates with homemade weapons at the end of June. FBI is investigating....

Oh ya, and the frequent usage of blogs are a paradox to America's obsession with privacy laws. Interestingly enough named the privacy paradox.

...

Lesson for Today: Praying on a conference call creates somewhat an awkward situation: do you close your eyes or not? I know it doesnt matter as far as praying goes, but somehow, I still have yet to find a comfortable solution to this problem, even after multiple calls beginning and ending in prayer...

0 comments: