Integrity and Apologies...

Feb 19, 2010

Big news today. Tiger's apology. 

I am a huge Tiger fan. Gary very much appreciates the fact that I am because I will actually watch golf with him when Tiger's involved. When everything happened last November, I was pretty bummed. I really respected him for the incredible golfer he is, and the family man he seemed to be.

But his apology today was big. "It's now up to me to start living a life of integrity." Heartfelt, seemingly genuine, his 14+ minute apology was as stand up as he is on the course. I can't determine whether it was genuine. I can't say for sure it was his apology and not just great PR writing. But I can't say it wasn't, either.

I will say, though, that as far as celebrity apologies go, this one was impacting. I can't imagine how his wife has felt through all of this. And I can't make excuses for Tiger. But today definitely helped from where I'm standing.

Does he owe me anything? No. But I believe he owes the kids who look up to him something. And he owes his family something. 

He repeatedly admitted that it was all his fault, taking full responsibility. A far cry from Letterman's recent apology. He cleared his wife's name and stood up for her vehemently. He admitted he needs help and has a long way to go, though he has "taken the first steps" toward healing. "I am the one who needs to change." He then leaned into Buddhism, which he says "teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint." 

Celebrity apologies have made me think lately about my own need for repentance. They serve as a reminder to me how God's heart desires "mercy not sacrifice, and acknowledgement of God rather than burnt offerings." (Hos. 6.6) Repentance is always better than trying to make it up or cover it over.

I feel sorry for him. Not in a pity kind of way. He doesn't need my pity. But I feel sorry in a sincere, Im bummed for him kind of way. I feel worse for his wife. But whether he followed apology etiquette or not (seriously, apology etiquette? how about just truly repenting?), it was a good move for him. And I hope true and honest healing can come to him and his family.

Also, his golf skills really do astound me. And golf isn't playing in our house until he's back.

...

Lesson for Today: Eldrick Tont... Who would've guessed that was the real name behind "Tiger"?

0 comments: