creative risk...

Sep 14, 2010

We are all creative. So many would disagree with that statement. Up until the last year, I would have as well. But I think one of the ways that God created us to be like Him is in the ability to create things, ideas, thoughts. Alex Osborn writes, "An analysis of almost all the psychological tests every made points to the conclusion that creative talent is normally distributed - that all of us possess this talent. The difference is only in degree; and that degree is largely influenced by effort."

That statement brought me freedom. I don't have to be as creative as the next person, I don't have to be ashamed of the arenas in which I may or may not be creative. I can stand on the idea that God has fashioned me with some element of His creativity.. But the thing is, it is up to me to use that creativity.

My job is to be creative. And there are so many times that I feel stuck within an idea, not sure how to crawl my way out of the box that only bad ideas reside in. But then I remember that God is the Creator of everything beautiful and wonderful. He is the one that gives us all the ideas we could ever need.

The danger is within labeling ourselves uncreative, finding comfort in safety and little risk. The thrill of creativity is taking a leap and landing somewhere you never thought you could take yourself to.

So, create. Lead. Risk. And see where you end up.

2 comments:

KEM said...

Thank you for the challenge and the encouragement. May we jump fully in with both feet........ now back to my writing!

Rhonda said...

Jess, did not realize you had this blog...love it! Thanks so very much, I could not help but think as I read creative risk what the ladies in one of my groups have begun to say to one another from a revelation in one of our very first gatherings..."don't look across the table". We are all given special gifts and talents and should keep our eyes on the giver of those, our creator, and seek his desire for how we use what he gave and continues to give us as opposed to the natural flesh response of beginning to compare our abilities with those across the table, which in turn can paralyze us. Thanks for the reminder we are all given all we need (talents and ideas alike) to be used as we were created to use them. Isn't it great that we each through our creative risk produce something as different as the creation we each are.